Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hello from Jean!

I have been reading lots of stories the last couple of weeks. Seems the more I read, the more excited I am about ways to use storytelling. Of course, now I need to learn how to tell them! Today, I was speaking with a friend who is helping to develop our synagogue's environmental committee. At the end of Sept. or early Oct., she's organizing an environmental hike for families. She asked if I would tell a couple of environmentally related stories during the snack/lunch break. She said she was interested because I told her how I was learning to use stories to spark imagination and get people to think about things that are important to me. So, besides telling stories in my school, I think I will begin to tell stories in the community, if I can and if I don't chicken out.

Next weekend, my family will leave for a week long vacation at the Jersey shore with my parents and my brother's family. We have done this many times before (though not in usually in NJ), and fortunately, we have all gotten better at managing family dynamics. Most of the time, we are now able to enjoy each other's company. We will return home on a Saturday, and that Sunday, we'll drive my son back to college. I feel so lucky to have had this summer with him (he worked at a local day camp). He is becoming more of a young adult and has dropped his previous teenage angst. I love to hang out with him and just talk. I know that the older he gets, the less likely I will have summers with him. Meanwhile, watching him transform (like a monarch butterfly!) has given me more patience with my younger teenager.

I hope all is well with all of you. Anyone going to the Sept. 28 storytelling festival? Anyone planning to attend the workshops as well as the performances? Anyone interested in getting together to practice new stories?
-Jean

No comments: